Chelsea are out of the League Cup, and will be without Eden Hazard for a few games now
Chelsea started the game very poorly, but did manage to build their way into this game. For the first 20 minutes of action, it didn't appear particularly likely that Chelsea would still be in the tie by halftime. They settled down nicely though, and started to find some cracks by the end of the first half.
The same eleven came out to start the second half, and continued to create some half-chances without every really doing too much to actually trouble the Swansea keeper. Rafa still made no changes, and then Eden Hazard got sent off. That's about all there is to tell, and Swansea will be facing Bradford City for the Capital One Cup.
Thankfully, this game is over. Here are a few thoughts now that we're out of the League Cup:
- Chelsea started this game absolutely terribly. I don't understand why they felt that hitting every ball long was the appropriate way to attack a team that wasn't pressing them at all, but they did. That was 20 minutes basically wasted, as that does not really suit our attackers at all.
- Demba Ba has got to stop going over so easily. Ben Davis left himself dead in the water just minutes into this tie, and Ba going over so easily made it an easy no-call for Chris Foy.
- Remember when all those Liverpool fans were telling us how sound tactically Rafa Benitez was when we hired him? I just don't see it at all. He's certainly organized, but this team he's had plenty of chances to adapt his tactics during games now and he's just very slow in doing so (on the rare occasions that he does). I'll never understand why there were no changes made at halftime of this one, and who makes a pair of like for like defensive substitutions when chasing a 2 goal lead in the second half? Fact...Rafa's substitutions stunk.
- Eden Hazard is going to take a lot of grief from the media due to the incident with the ballboy, but that ballboy has no business being allowed on the sideline again after sitting on the ball and wasting time today. Eden Hazard was rightly red carded, and the FA really need to be looking at the time wasting as well. Both Hazard and Swansea should be looking at further discipline.
- BeIN have a lot of work to do with their online streaming for US customers. That was just terrible quality.
- Luckily for Rafa, we've got another lower league team coming up on the weekend to rest some first choice starters against and use up the first game of Hazard's impending suspension. Knowing Rafa though, we'll see our best eleven rolled out against them so they are too tired for the next league tie.
* A reminder...We're all tired of the way people start insulting each other after losses here lately. Don't make any comment personal. Yes, Chelsea lost. That doesn't excuse personal attacks. Keep the comments section civil.