Clive Rose - Getty Images
Chelsea went to the Emirates on Saturday and came away with three points in a highly entertaining affair.
Chelsea had their first game of the season against one of the traditional top sides, and they came away with three very nice points. The Blues scored on a pair of set pieces on Saturday, with Torres getting on the end of the first and a Juan Mata delivery settling into the back of the net for the second. Here are some thoughts in the immediate aftermath of the game:
- The Fernando Torres goal was just excellent. Say what you will about his finishing since Chelsea acquired his services, but that was absolutely first class.
- The band of Eden Hazard, Mata and Oscar did a great job of taking Arsenal's deeper midfielders out of the game. They really need to work on exploiting the space opened up by attack minded fullbacks though, as Jenkinson and Oxlade-Chamberlain were leaving acres of space behind them for the Chelsea counter-attack to exploit.
- John Obi Mikel and Ramires are an interesting pivot pairing. Defensively, they seem to offer a very good pairing of skills.
- The off the ball movement by Chelsea looked very good today. When these guys have played together for a few more months this could be a very dangerous side.
- The yellow card against David Luiz was ridiculous. This stupid belief that anytime a player falls over in the box is either a dive or a penalty just needs to go away.
- I hate cheering for the Spuds, but I'm an AVB fan this afternoon. GO TOTTENHAM!