Quick post. Just want to give my input of the lineup we should play on Wednesday:
4-2-3-1 : Cech, Ivanovic, Luiz, Terry, Cole, Mikel, Ramires, Moses, Hazard, Mata, Torres Subs: Turnbull, Cahill, Azpilcueta, Romeu, Oscar, Lampard, Sturridge
Key points from this formation:
- Ramires played for Brazil midweek in the double pivot, he scored. Lampard isn't playing his position at all well, therefore give him a rest. He doesn't need to play every game. Ramires is a better passer than Merelies, so if he sticks close to Mikel and offers a consistent outlet, he will do a good job, like the former did against Newcastle. His pace can always be used on the quick counter. From what I have seen, Hazard drops very deep to receive the ball, which hides the fact we don't have a long passer.
- Mata and Moses on the Wings. Ivanovic can fight his own battles a lot of the time, and Ramires can offer some defensive support from his side of the pivot to Cole. This can help our two wide men. Moses offers natural width and pace, something which will add a new dimension to our game (with Marin coming back from injury, the flanks can become our new focal point of attack). Mata will always cut in and play close to the '10' which will allow overlapping and Torres to make the runs off the defenders shoulder.
- Defensive strategy: Pretty basic, but surely it is better than impersonating Stoke. Luiz and Terry should refrain from lumping the ball forward to Torres, they should instead look to look towards the wings. If Mata and Moses drop deep off their marker, space will open up, and the transition from defense to attack will be that much smoother.
- Fernando, you play best when you are centrally making runs. Stop sitting back and running the channels. Put your foot through the ball.
- Substitutes : If all goes well, it would be nice to see Azpilcueta make his debut, he isn't too shabby i've heard. Also, Hazard probably wouldn't mind a rest until Saturday, so Oscar getting 20 minutes wouldn't hurt. Same with Sturridge, if Torres hasn't scored.
This is my form lineup, it is one that doesn't involve defensive wingers, or any of that crap. It is a team who are good enough to beat Juventus.
Your thoughts please. My thoughts may be out there, but I would appreciate your feedback.