CHESTER, PA - JULY 25: A general view during the National Anthem before the 2012 AT&T MLS All-Star Game between the MLS All-Stars and Chelsea at PPL Park on July 25, 2012 in Chester, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Mike Lawrie/Getty Images)
That wasn't as much fun as the last 2 were, but it's another 90 minutes in the books. I had a few thoughts while watching, so here they are:
- I didn't like Marko Marin as much centrally as I did on the wing. That through ball to Lampard was a thing of beauty though.
- I didn't like Yossi Benayoun as much on the wing as I did on the bench.
- Ramires was far too heavy with his first touch tonight. He looked rusty.
- Essien looked better than he has in a bit. Improvement.
- There was too much space between the midfield and the defense in general. This needs to be corrected.
- Our wings were too eager to cut in and shoot tonight. The MLS squad looked ready for it all game.
- The officiating in the last 10 minutes was terrible. It was a friendly, so who cares.
- Romelu Lukaku didn't score, but he had a nice game. He moved well, and he found decent space to receive the ball in. Unlike the wings, Lukaku might have been better served looking to shoot more. Had Terry not been in position to score that first corner, Lukaku certainly would have. Excellent game from the 19 year old.
Overall, I'm disappointed that Chelsea lost. MLS played relatively well though, and it was a good test overall for Chelsea at this point in the pre-season. I really want to see Chelsea at full strength though, as they arguably sat 6 of their best 11 from the start and still looked decent enough. We'll have more on this one later, and the Olympics start tomorrow. Discuss.