Chelsea seem to have put the disappointment from Japan behind them, absolutely smashing Leeds with a fantastic second half.
Leeds managed to take a lead into halftime, but it didn't take long in the second half for the gulf in class between these two sides to show. Juan Mata put Chelsea level just a minute into the half, and within 20 minutes the good guys were up 3-1.
Chelsea put it into cruise control after the Victor Moses goal, and have now assured they'll play two extra games in January. We'll know the opponent in that semifinal shortly, as the draw is set to take place momentarily. We will touch on that as it happens, but for now, here are a few thoughts on this one:
- Fernando Torres looks like a guy that just needs some time off. He has been getting caught offside an awful lot of late, and he's not following teammate's shots. I have an awfully hard time faulting him for that though, what else can we really expect if we play the guy every minute of every game? The guy needs a rest, and if we aren't using Danny now, it may be a while before he gets one.
- Chelsea did a fantastic job today of creating corner after corner. I was going to comment that they needed to show serious improvement on attacking them, but as I was writing this bullet point, Branislav Ivanovic just buried one.
- Marko Marin exists. Unfortunately that was about all we actually confirmed with his hour of work today.
- I've seen the replay of the disallowed goal several times now, and it does appear that Juan Mata flicked the ball onto Fernando Torres before Moses was played in. He actually wasn't offside, and the goal should have stood. Luckily it doesn't matter, as Chelsea smashed Leeds anyway.
- Vitesse won 10-1 against ADO '20 today. That has nothing to do with this game, but wow!
- Hopefully the injury suffered by Ryan Bertrand was not serious enough to see him miss any time. Forcing the 31-year old Ashley Cole to play every game at this point is not an ideal scenario.
- I love Paulo Ferreira, but I'm furious that we didn't see Rafa Benitez give Ake, Piazon, or Saville some minutes when leading 5-1 late on. For two of those guys, there may not be another opportunity for a debut in the next several years.