Being a regular viewer of this site, I am well versed with the constant criticism of Torres and the desire of many supporters to bring in a new striker such as a superstar in the shape of Falcao/Cavani or a future prospect such as Wilfried Bony
What I am most surprised to learn is that I have hardly heard the name Fernando Llorente mentioned on this site. Here is why I believe he will be the perfect signing-
1. He is running down his contract and will likely be availabe on free saving us the cost of paying transfer fees. Better than shelling out 40 odd million on Cavani/Falcao
2. He offers us something different in terms of his aerial abaility and power upfront. Something which the likes of Torres/Sturridge don't have. Essentialy a Plan B which most sides have
3. Being a Spaniard, he should have little to no problem settling with Romeu/Mata/Torres/Azpilicueta around
4. He is 27 and in his prime. That means he is good enough to step into our team and contribute right away. That also means that he should start decling by the time our blue-chip prospects such as Lukaku start to really come into their own
5. He is an excellent striker. Essentially Giroud on steroids. Up there with or maybe even better than Cavani
Now while I do realize that buying players in their prime is not good business in the FFP era, I do believe that an exception can be made for someone like Llorente due to the fact that we will not have to pay anything in transfer fees.
While we will have to pay him high wages due to the fact that other top clubs will be sniffing around, the story is the same for Falcao/Cavani.
So yes for me... Llorente+Moutinho in January would be a great transfer window
Would Fernando Llorente be a good signing for Chelsea?
Yes (81 votes)
No (23 votes)
104 total votes